top of page
Tenancy Info
Family at Home

Tenancy Information


We're so pleased to start this tenancy with you, and having assisted in finding a home that's perfect for you. To start things right, we've put together a selection of information you'll find helpful during your tenancy.


Rent Payments

Make paying rent easy by setting up an automatic payment. At the beginning of the tenancy we provide an AP form, which includes your unique code. Use this code as reference, as it identifies who the payment is from and what it is for.

Why Do I Pay Rent in Advance?

Whenever you pay rent, you pay for the upcoming week (or fortnight), so you're paying before using the property. If you pay one week rent in advance when the tenancy begins, this means you've paid rent for the upcoming week. In a week's time when you pay rent, you are paying the rent for the week ahead, and so forth. Same goes with paying fortnightly.

Chattels & Condition Report

Chattels have been recorded prior to the commencement of your tenancy and will be sent to you via email around the time your tenancy commences. If you have not received the link, please check your junk mail. If it has been directed there, you will need to drag it in to your inbox to access. If you have not received the link for some other reason, please advise your Property Manager as soon as possible.

Setting Up Electricity & Gas

The connection of these services is the tenants’ responsibility, as are all charges. If your property has gas and electricity,  tell your power provider to ensure both are connected, as these are charged separately.

Renti Connections

There's a lot to do when moving into a new home. Renti provides free assistance to tenants to ease the stress and administration of moving.  In one phone call, you can set up all of your utility connections, ready for your move in day. 

And the good thing is this service doesn't cost you anything. Renti agents will find you the best rates and deals to suit your household and often save you money!

Routine Property Inspections

An inspection will be conducted one month after you move in, and every three months following, as required under most landlord insurance policies. You will be advised of the scheduled date at least 48 hours in advance. You don't need to be home during the inspection, but you are welcome to attend and discuss any maintenance concerns you have.


Click here to see what type of things we check for during inspections.


Reasonably Clean and Tidy

As tenant, you are legally responsible to keep the property clean and tidy throughout the tenancy. Plus, keeping on top of cleaning helps make property inspections and vacating down-the-line go smoothly.

Rubbish & Recycling

For any rubbish enquires, or to find out what day rubbish collection is for your suburb, visit your local council website.


Click here for Hutt City Council

Click here for Upper Hutt City Council

Click here Porirua City Council

Click here Wellington City Council

Maintenance & Enquiries

If there is a maintenance issue, notify your Property Manager right away. Email is our preferred method of contact, as it ensures nothing is missed, and allows us to refer back to previous communications if needed. Please include your property address in the subject line, and if possible, include photos​ to help us identify and fix the issue.


For non-urgent enquiries, please contact us during normal business hours.

When maintenance is required, we provide our contractor with your contact name and number so they can arrange access with you. If you can't be at home, with your permission, the contractor can collect the keys from our office.

Afterhours Emergency Maintenance

If any urgent issues arise outside normal office hours that cannot wait until the following morning or Monday you will need to phone the afterhours number you were provided at the beginning of the tenancy, and our team member will assist you.


If you lock yourself out of the property when our office is closed, you can either wait until the next working day, or organise and pay for a locksmith yourself.

Picture Hooks & Minor Changes
If you wish to install picture hooks or do any minor changes to the property, please check with your Property Manager first. At the end of the tenancy you may be liable for the cost of returning the property to its original condition before the change.

Smoke Alarms

We've ensured there are smoke alarms throughout the property. Please don't damage, remove or disconnect any of these smoke alarms. If you believe a smoke alarm is faulty please contact your Property Manager.​

Preventing Mould & Condensation

In Wellington’s climate it is normal to wipe and clean off condensation regularly. Condensation is caused when inside is warmer than outside. Fresh air and ventilation is the best way to prevent mould and condensation.

  • Open windows regularly when you're at home, as well as cupboards and wardrobes to create airflow and stop moisture settling

  • Use the extraction fan and open windows when bathing or showering

  • Hang washing outside instead of inside on a clothes horse to prevent dampness

  • Wipe off condensation and mould on windows, sills, and curtains

  • Promote airflow by moving your furniture away from the wall, and not leaving bare mattresses on the floor

  • Dehumidifiers are an excellent option for removing moisture from the air, and are low-cost to run


If you do get mould, read our tips for removal.

It's worth noting that if a contractor is called out, and the issue is found to be caused by you (for example, a drain is blocked with hair), then the call-out fee is a tenant charge.

Trouble Shooting Maintenance Issues

Before contacting us about maintenance, refer to our maintenance troubleshooting here or click an item on the list below, you may be able to easily fix it yourself in no time. If your property has whiteware already provided, you can find the user manual online by searching "[insert product name] user manual".

The Garden

You are responsible for keeping the garden reasonably clean and tidy during the tenancy. Unless stated otherwise in the tenancy agreement, you are responsible for mowing the lawn and weeding the garden (this includes flower beds). When done regularly, it's easy to maintain the garden. Neglecting weeding can be toxic to children and pets as some weeds, like nightshade, are toxic. Also, if lawns are neglected, mowing it at the end of the tenancy will not bring it back to its original state, as weeds and wild grass will have set in. If you want to do anything more to the garden, such as trimming trees, shrubs, or hedges you will need to ask your Property Manager first.

Occupancy & Pets

It's important to note, only the people listed on the tenancy agreement can reside in the rental property. If you're thinking about welcoming a pet into your household, please get in touch with your Property Manager first. Pets can only be kept in the property if you have written permission from your Property Manager.

Change of Details & Receiving Previous Tenants' Mail

If your email or phone number changes at any stage during the tenancy, please let your Property Manager know. It's important we're able to contact all occupants directly. Tenants are required to notify the landlord within 10 working days of the change in contact details, under section 16 of the Residential Tenancies Act 1986.


If you receive mail addressed to previous tenants, you can return it using NZPost's Return to Sender service. Simply write 'Return to Sender' on the front of the envelope and post as normal. When you vacate the property, make sure you let companies and the electoral roll know that your address has changed.


Although the landlord is responsible for insurance relating to the property itself, their insurance does not cover tenant possessions. We highly recommend you organise your own contents insurance from an insurance provider.

Noisy Neighbours

If you have a noisy neighbour, try talking to them first. If the problem persists you can call Noise Control. As a 24/7 service run by the City Council, they will be able to help you best in this situation.


Hutt City Noise Control: 0800 488 824

Upper Hutt Noise Control: 04 527 2169

Porirua Noise Control: 04 237 5089

Wellington Noise Control: 04 499 4444

Electricity Outages | No Water

If you have a power outage or no water, step outside to see if it's a problem in the neighbourhood. You'll often see other houses have gone dark, or people are working on the water pipes. If you can't see what's causing the water/power outage, contacting your local council or power company is the next best course of action, because they will know what's happening.


Hutt City Council: 0800 488 824

Upper Hutt City Council: 04 527 2169

Porirua City Council: 04 237 5089

Wellington City Council: 04 499 4444

Fire Safety Advice

Your safety is important. Here are a collection of tips on preventing fires, and what to do if a fire starts.

Safety Tips to Prevent Fire from Starting

  • Remove lint and change dryer filter regularly.

  • Turn off heated appliances when you leave the house.

  • Keep flammable items away from heat.

  • Keep cooking oils away from the stove, or anything that could potentially spark and cause a fire.

  • Don’t leave the room when cooking or lighting candles. If you have to, always turn off the stove first. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of house fires in New Zealand.

  • Keep curtains, tea towels, oven mitts and any flammable items well away from the cooking area when you're cooking.

  • Matches, lighters or other fire-starting tools are stored out of reach of children.

  • Power points or multi-boards are not overloaded with appliances that use a lot of power, like heaters.

If a Fire Starts

  • If your fry pan is on fire, place the lid of the fry pan, a wet tea towel, or another large flat object (like a chopping board) over the pan to starve the fire of oxygen.

  • Never throw water onto a fry pan that's on fire.

  • Never, ever attempt to carry a burning fry pan outside.

  • If you have a fire in your oven, try to turn off the power or gas, either at the stove or at the mains.

  • Call the emergency number 111.

Extended Trips

If you're planning a trip away for longer than a week, it's a good idea to let your neighbours know so they can keep an eye on the property. Feel free to pass your Property Manager's contact details on to them, in case something happens while you're away, like a pipe bursting. It's also helpful for your Property Manager to know too.

Need to visit us in person? 

Come on down to our office. We're open during normal business hours, Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.00pm.

Remember, we're here to help. If you have any questions or need more information, contact your Property Manager.

bottom of page